Friday, October 28, 2011

My Body, My Choice


My Body, My Choice – this is the position held by people who are pro-choice and don't mind women having abortions if they want to. This statement is one that I am however on the fence about. On the other hand there are people, who are pro-life, (Christian groups/ activists) they wish to see and are fighting to make abortions illegal. Basically, they believe everyone has a right to live.


I am stuck somewhere in between the two opposing positions. While it is quite obvious that it’s a woman’s choice whether she decides to abort a pregnancy or not, it should not be that cut and dry in deciding whether to let an innocent child live or not. As in cases where a woman has been raped and as a result becomes pregnant, I think an abortion can be “justified” and or the “right thing to do”, because in all honesty many women are not going to be able to love a child who was created in such a vile and distasteful way even though it is not their fault. However, my hat goes out to those can. If that child knows that were conceived in such a way, I’m sure that will certainly have a negative effect on their life.


Meanwhile women who are reckless or for the lack of a better word, careless, who then become pregnant and then decide to abort, should be made to think twice before actually going through with the process. I don’t think that it’s right at all to abort a pregnancy just because you can’t live with the “punishment” or consequences” of your actions. So in instances like this, I’m pro life.


This issue has been met with a quite a few double standards and I think the media has had a vital role in this. Nadya Suleman “The Octomom” for example was the poster child. Many people in the US wanted her to get an abortion because tax payers would be the ones who would end up having to support her and the children. Her being told get these abortions was the double standard, as tax payers already pay for children, perhaps not in this way but they still do. In addition I think she was victimized in a certain way, because for someone who most people claimed to be against, she still gained a wide attention (both a negative and a positive) as she was featured on many major talk shows including The Oprah Winfrey Show.


You may be saying to yourself “Why should I listen to his opinion, what does he know about this stuff, he could never truly understand” all true statements but I don’t have to be a female to have common sense... or a heart. All I’m saying is that abortions should be something thoroughly thought about before going through with as there are many women who contemplated having one but decided not to for one reason or another and are now happy with their choice no to go through with it.


Pro Life or Pro Choice? I say find a balance or a heart.

3 comments:

  1. i totally agree u r so right wish everyone will tink like this

    urs truly
    sheda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad someone agrees... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have experienced this before and i did it because i didn't have a choice plus i wasn't ready,if they stop abortions this will cause so much pain and strain on many families e.g if someone has sex with a family member and they become pregnant do you know the consequences of bringing that child?

    ReplyDelete